Re: New installer available: Testers wanted

2010/3/2 Jason Pickering <jason.p.pickering@xxxxxxxxx>

> > As you say we have two scenarios: Offline, where it would be useful to
> > include java, and online, where user feedback would be
> sufficient. Launch4j
> > has a nice feature where you are redirected to the java download page if
> > java is not already installed. Could that be done with Bitrock?
>
> Yes, it already performs a check, and aborts the install.

Your check is too stringent - I think requiring 1.6.0-14 is sufficient.

> I guess we
> could try and open up the web page for them. BitRock could even
> download it for them automatically as part of the installation
> process. This might be a better option for an online install.

Pointing them to the right place for download is definitely useful. Not sure
how the automatic download would work if there is no connection? Or if the
user has Java available.

The two main alternatives is to 1) use the Java installer (either provided
on a CD/USB or prompting the user to download it) or 2) to have an
alternative where an "unzipped" JRE is packaged with the installer and
placed in the DHIS folder (and probably used only for DHIS, not generally
available on the users machine). The latter alternative would ensure that
things work well and can be done silently, with the only downside being a
somewhat increased download (15 MB?).

> Will wait for the fixes then, and not worry about packaging FireFox.
>
> Also, can someone comment on this blueprint?
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/dhis2/+spec/new-installer

I see your requests for feedback but not how to respond to them in LP. The
history of this is that after I had made the BitRock installers and it
needed updating and some more work, I saw that Saptarshi had made a NetBeans
installer for OpenMRS and thought it might be a good idea to switch to that
if he was willing to maintain it.

> I am not sure if Saptarshi is builing a NetBeans installer as well,
> but it would seem that BitRock would be able to deliver an installer
> for any platform. if there is a compelling reason to use NetBeans, I
> suppose we could go that way as well, but I would assume that the
> NetBeans installer is actually Java and not a native package, as is
> produced with BitRock?

I think we should forget about the NetBeans option now - many more important
things for Saptarshi to work on.

Knut