Re: Greetings + new DHIS patient module

I agree depending on the uniqueness of names is not a good idea.  I
saw John said that facilities in India do have codes - the 16 digit
ones which are built hierarchicly (is that a word?).

Is it possible to for a patient id to continue this hierarchy so that
a patient might have say a 6-8 digit local identifier - preferably
Base30 as I see Saptarshi has just chimed in.  But his
"fully-qualified" id would be the 16 digit one + the local part.  I
can see that generation and allocation of these might be problematic
and the internal uuid might be a good (if expensive) failsafe.  How
does openmrs deal with this?  Saptarshi, is at as you have suggested?
I would be a bit concerned that management of a pool of ids strikes me
as something which could easily fall apart.  Isn't it better to
generate them on demand from some random source and test for
uniqueness before inserting into the database?  If its not unique then
it simply tries another till its happy?

Bob