Re: New installer available: Testers wanted

Hi there. All these sound like great suggestions, but I think we need to
make a decision soon about what to do. I have some suggestions.

1) We should perhaps consider forking the installer off the main branch, as
Knut has suggested. This could have the advantage of bringing in a larger
crowd that wants to work on installers for OpenXData, OpenMRS, DHIS, etc
packaged together. The installer itself, in its current incarnation, has no
direct dependencies on the trunk code, so it would be simple enough to do
this. However, I feel we are losing focus somewhat. It may not help to try
and worry about every single type of installation that is necessary .We have
identified a key requirement, which is a basic installer for DHIS2 with
either H2 or Postgres. This is what I have been continuing to work on based
on this requirement.

2) More techie stuff now. Installation of Postgres without administrative
rights, AFAIK, is simply not possible. As Quanq points out, this is required
in order to create a non-administrative user, which Postgres requires.  I am
making the assumption that users are going to have this, otherwise a
Postgres install will simply not be possible unless people know a way around
this. The scripts would be useful, but Knut has already supplied some that
will do the trick. It is simple not to install Postgres as a service if
needed, and launch it at runtime. I see pros and cons for this, mostly
related to the use of PivotTables, which would require Postgres to be
running. It may not be intuitive to users to launch the database prior to
using Excel. I have a rather modest little laptop, and have noticed no
resource issues really, with Postgres running in the background.  I think we
should go that route, and that is how I have been testing the BitRock
installer thus far.

I must say though, I am still a bit confused why we are not considering the
H2 approach more? I have an installer already for this, and it works like a
charm, at least on a stock XP machine.

I have taken a look at .embedding the JRE which is simple, but it would
require a change to the DHIS2 Live app, which of course would break other
DHIS2 live installs that may not use the embedded JRE that we would package
with the installer. We could alter the Live app source code at the builder
compile time, to suit the needs of the installer. Better yet, would be a
config file for the app that we could write during the installation, which
could read the JRE location. Maybe we could use this for other properties,
like memory settings as well.

So, if you can dig up those scripts, it would be good. But, I still think
that since users will need admin rights for a postgres install, it is better
to install it as a service.

Regards,
Jason