DHIS Mobile - UI Feedback

Hi,

Have done a complete revamp of the mobile client application. Earlier we
used simple MIDP 2.0 components and required programming the form. The form
was simple, but required JavaME knowledge. New code can be downloaded from
here <lp:~sunbiz/+junk/javame_src>.

The new approach has few advantages:
1.) Can be generated from DHIS2 by selecting datasets/data elements (No
JavaME programming required)
2.) Completely maven-ized. No need for ant
3.) Looks same on all phones (earlier had issues with low-end Nokia phones
which truncated textfield labels)
4.) Works on the cheapest currently manufactured java-enabled phone (tested
with Nokia 1680)
5.) Can be used to report patient program stage data elements
6.) No separate SMS Listener. Inside DHIS 2 web server. (needs some more
work)

Issues:
1.) Requires WTK libraries, which can be installed part of Sun WTK on the
DHIS 2 server, but the war file remains unaffected
2.) Requires health workers to download full application on phone, even if
only 1 data element is changed in the dataset

Attached are screenshots of the UI on which I need some comments. The UI is
more customizable now and has calendar, themes, drop-downs, lists etc. Only
2-button interface, because some phones may not have the middle button.

The web-module is still under-development and plan is to release the
full-package pre-beta version on 15th March after which, we can test,
comment and get a direction to where we should take the mobile application.
I don't think SMS are the best way to send patient data. Atleast not for the
number of elements and number of patients in Indian context. For which I
suggest XForms are the best way forward.

---
Regards,
Saptarshi PURKAYASTHA
Director R & D, HISP India