Re: Pagination patch

Hi Lars,
I will write up the blueprint. It is becoming my specialty. :)

Personally, I think the filter button is a good thing to test. The
on-the-fly filtering is really causing me a lot of headaches. On
Ubuntu, on a relatively slow machine, the browser greys out while
performing a filter, sometimes for a minute or so. This does not seem
like a particularly complicated operation, but it is very annoying,
and the user has no idea what is happening. The machine just freezes
for a few seconds when filtering on data elements.

I am experiencing a very high latency environment right now, so it may
be a while before I can get launchpad to work.

Regards,
Jason

2010/4/21 Lars Helge Øverland <larshelge@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi,
> agreed that pagination is needed on long lists like data elements and
> indicators. Jason, could you take the bother to write a blueprint? I guess
> you have almost done it with your last mail.
> Re the filtering I think we are mixing this up a bit. Currently filtering
> happens on the client side. It can continue to do that even if we use
> pagination as the filter function simply moves elements back and forth from
> a hidden list.
> Also, currently we have on-the-fly filtering. Would it be simpler if we just
> have a button which says "Filter" instead, ie letting the user decide when
> to perform the filtering? Easier and maybe better?
> Agree that this is important and that we really need to improve
> usability/performance in "high latency internet environments". Downloading
> the data element list with 1000 elements can be around 1 MB which is
> unacceptable. We have currently reduced the amount of html in the page +
> made the delete function "ajaxified" in order to avoid reloading the list,
> but more must be done.
> Lars

Jason P. Pickering
email: jason.p.pickering@xxxxxxxxx