Re: APN for Mobile DHIS

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Greg
>
> Beware there is a lot of snake oil in this business.  The story you
> linked to earlier about this "new technology" called adaptive private
> networking is pretty suspect.  call me old fashioned, but when I see
> mention of new networking technology I tend to try and find the rfc's.
>  Surprise, surprise - no rfc, just a dodgy looking company holding a
> dodgy looking patent and seeking international partners to sell
> "their" technology.
>
> When mobile companies talk about APNs they usually talk of Access
> Point Names so lots more possibilities for confusion.
>
> On 29 June 2010 13:08, Greg <greg.rowles@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Jason
>>
>> The application I'm referring to will capture campaign data on a daily basis using up to 15,000 mobiles.
>>
>> The use of APN is intended to be an alternative to data bundles that will cost the mobile user nothing. It gets rid of the excuse "I didn't have airtime and couldn't sms the data"...
>
> Who is offering this alternative to data bundles.  Is it Vodacom?  I
> am trying to understand where the free bandwidth is coming from - the
> APN stuff is really about adaptive routing  using existing network
> links (of which there is already a long and illustrious history so not
> much new there), but it sure isn't going to give you free bandwidth.

As I understand it, the selling point would not be about free
bandwidth overall, but free for the user of the particular
application, and paid by the organization offering the application. So
the difference seems to be in how to pay for bandwidth - i.e. the
logistics of paying for air time. Another approach would be dedicated
SIM cards, but again, there is a logistical issue of distributing
those.

Knut