Re: OpenHealthMapper

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Knut Staring <knutst@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks, Jason - many useful points - it may well be that import
> through GML should be the expanded as the main mode for dealing with
> "external" data. I would like to summarize what I am getting at in
> terms of parameters.
>
> The whole left hand pane in the OHM is devoted to allowing the user to
> set the parameters of thematic layers, in terms of selecting the data
> to be displayed. These parameters are then used to define queries to
> the DHIS2 webservice API. I think it could be of great value if they
> could additionally specify queries to other services (as alternative
> modes). Geoserver is one obvious candidate

The upcoming 2.1 version of Geoserver has the ability to "create a
layer directly from an SQL query. And on top of that query definitions
can be parameterized which allows one to create dynamic queries on the
fly", which should facilitate what I mean - with Geoserver running as
a separate application which could connect to arbitrary RDBMS sources:
http://blog.geoserver.org/2010/09/04/geoserver-21-beta-released/

Knut