Re: GIS layers and loading the hierarchy

An additional thought - with JTS or Geotools, it should be possible to
eliminate the ogr2ogr conversion to GML and rather parse the
(simplified) shapefile directly. However, this is probably not urgent.
Here is a quick presentation of the two libraries:
http://haitaoblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/jts-topology-suite-geotools.html

--
Cheers,
Knut Staring