Re: More on the data browser

2010/11/24 Jason Pickering <jason.p.pickering@xxxxxxxxx>:

> The results look something like this..
>
> Data Element    January 2010    February 2010   March 2010
> Alive on ART after 12 months (calc)     7       6       9
> Amoxicillin 125mg 5ml suspension 75ml stock out         0       0       0
> Antenatal 1st visit 20 weeks or later   39      36      46
> Antenatal 1st visit before 20 weeks     6       6       34
> Antenatal 1st visit by woman <18 years  4       3       4
> Antenatal 1st visits total (calc)       45      42      80
> Antenatal client collecting HIV test results    45      42      84
>
> The numbers here, are actual numbers, not counts. And in just a few
> clicks, I can easily extract out data for a given orgunit and time
> periods. Much simpler than going through the data mart/report
> tables.So using this workflow, we can quickly see what data is
> available for a given set of orgunits and time periods, and then
> quickly drill down to the actual data.  We could probably have two
> modes. View data and view summary. Viewing the data would provide the
> actual data, while viewing the summary could give you the counts of
> the data elements, which is not really as useful once you have
> constrained two dimensions dimensions (periodid, orgunit)
>
> Now, this is not going to work for multidimensional datasets, because
> there are not unique data elements, but for the Zambia database, which
> does not use McDonalds (category combinations, etc) this is exactly
> the sort of functionality we have been needed for a long time. A very
> quick way to quickly drill down to raw data for a given orgunit/period
> combination. The problem with the data browser at the moment, is that
> I only get counts at the end of the drill-down. In our case, I only
> get ones and zeros. 1s for anything that has been submitted, a 0 for
> anything that has not.  Getting to the data through the data entry
> forms is painful, and it is not possible to see multiple time periods.
>
> We might should think if this is desired functionality for others, and
> how to generalize it to databases with McDonalds implemented. Does not
> seem to be too difficult really, but not sure if it is desirable.

I would be surprised if this was not desirable more generally.
Currently one can find the data with the data browser, make a note of
the parameters (orgunit, period), try and guess what dataset the data
belong to, and then go to Data Entry to look at what the data actually
 is. Kind of contradicts the theme of Output != Input. Thanks for
doing this work, Jason.