Re: DHIS and logistics management (Was: Re: New requirement from Sri Lanka)

Dear all,

According to the aggregating report RHMIS1158 and requirements described. I
create the system in DHIS as below. Please see if I doing right, or DHIS
need a new function in aggregated way.
I created 5 data elements
 - Condom,
 - Oral Pill packet,
 - Injectables Vials,
 - Intra Uterine device,
 - Implants.
All these dataelements would be assigned with category combination include 4
category options are :
- Amount at the end of lastmonth,
- Amount received during the month,
- Amount issued during the month,
- and Average monthly requirement.

Those data elements were in a dataset for all organistaion unit levels enter
data. Because all of them need to update their stores. But by doing as
described above, there are problems:

1. The system require that the upper level shouldn't see data entry form or
edit data values of lower levels. To solve this, I create different datasets
contain above data elements and assign to different organisation unit
levels.

2. However, when generate report, because DHIS aggregated data from bottom
to top org unit levels. So the parent org unit can't view their own data
values but total values included their values and their children's values.
And data would be double a lot because example for data element Condom
received during the month. parent orgunit received 100, then they issued
100. The children org unit will received 100. So after aggregated, the total
received will be 200. This is not right.

And in report, they just want to view seperate org unit level total but not
aggregate from bottom to top. And it was a little bit difficult when parent
org unit will want to see their values OR children org unit values, not
include total of their grandchildren orgunit level values

So I created more data elements for different org unit levels. Such as
Parent OrgUnit - Condom(received during the month)  (in dataset of parent
org unit)
Children OrgUnit - Condom(received during the month) (in dataset of children
org unit)
GrandChildren OrgUnit - Condom(received during the month) (in dataset of
grandchildren ort unit)
For this, I can seperate the org unit levels to not view and edit data
values of others. As well as generate report without total of multi org unit
levels.

But I wonder if this is the right way to store data? by this way will we
face any problem in the future? If this is not the right way, then how
should I create the reports to satisfy report viewing requirement? I know
that in data element has a check box for aggregated at level.. but that is
only for temporary use. and in this case the aggregated of org unit level is
not stable to use that. Should we have selections to select which level to
aggregate while design/generate report?

Those are doubts in my mind. I am not much sure what I am doing is right or
wrong because I don't have much experience about retrieving data values and
analysis later. So I hope you have experience about that help me to see the
problems may happen if I do this way or that way to store data.

Thank you very much

Thuy