disappearing tables

This is so weird i am even a bit embarressed sharing on the list but I
have had a very strange morning.  I've been trying to set up a new
dhis development environment in windoze (which i know is a bad idea
but anyway ..).  What seems to be happening is that dhis, when it
starts up, is clobbering tables in my database.  I was using postgres
9 and figured maybe that was too brave so I downgraded back to 8.4.5.
Same issue.

What happens is this:  if I start with a blank database, then when
dhis runs the tables are created as normal - 164 of them.  But after i
shut down dhis I am left with only 5 timetables -
aggregateddatavalues, aggregateddatasetcompleteness,
aggregatedindicatorvalue, datavaluearchive and
patientdatavaluearchive.  Everything else is just gone :-(

What is worse is that when I start with an existing database (with 169
tables and lots of data) it does the same thing.  Clobbers most of my
tables.  Interesting while dhis is running I have lots of empty tables
which used to be full plus an oddly named _temp_dataelement table.
Then when I shutdown dhis and look at my db again most of the tables
have just gone and I'm left with the above plus a couple of _resource
tables.

Environment:
dhis.war latest build 1676 - both my own and download from hudson
postgres8.4.5
java 1.6.0_22
tomcat 6.0.29

Has anyone else seen something like this or wasI just plagued by db
spirits this morning.

Regards
Bob

Follow ups