Re: Alternative names

Hi Thuy

On 28 April 2011 16:59, Thuy Nguyen <thuy.hispvietnam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I could understand that one dataelement may have many alias names for many
> report forms or data sets or programs. But that not mean we need to put more
> than 1 alternative name, or even we don't need to put in the system
> alternative names. Because as real case, no one has time to do that.

I am not sure if having time is the right argument.  It is true that
often (always?) we construct the metadata for an implementation in a
hurry but it is also true that we must live in, among and with this
metadata for potentially many years.  So there is a good case for not
making things like alternativename a necessity when putting together
an implementation.  Which is also why I am happy to see it dropped as
a static field.  But it is while we try to maintain this metadata over
time (and potentially importing definitions from elsewhere) that we
might find ourselves missing the ability to assign alternative names
for things.