Re: Postgres restore problem

What is the file format? Is it a plain text Postgres dump or has it been
created using pg_dump as a compressed dump?

You are right, as you will not be able to (easily) restore a version of the
database created with Postgres 9 to postgres 8.4. You should be able to
restore from a plain text dump however.