Open source web conferencing tools

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gaurav Paliwal <gauravpaliwal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, May 14, 2011 at 4:54 PM
Subject: [OPENMRS-DEV] Regarding Alternative to Adobe Connect
To: openmrs-devel-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

Please see the inline comparison between various alternative available for
the Adobe Connect based on some criteria that I understood in the previous
meetings.

    Criteria

  BigBlueButton

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/

Openmeetings

http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/

WebHuddle

https://www.webhuddle.com/

Browser Supports

Firefox , IE , Chrome and Opera with Java

Firefox , IE and Chrome (Not Officially Supported)

Firefox , IE and Chrome

Presentation/File sharing

ppt, pptx, pdf

ppt, svg, rtf, txt, doc, xls, pdf

ppt converted to jpeg

Recording Facilities

No , but must be available in future releases according to the project home
page.

Available

Available

Installation

Easy as it has Ubuntu VM image.

Easy Deb Installer Available

Easy in Windows NOT that easy in GNU/Linux

Brower Plugins Required

Java and Adobe Plugin installed

Java and Adobe Plugin installed

Java and Adobe Plugin installed

Maximum Participant

Okey

Okey

Okey

 My Experience

  1. UI Interface is good but not that glossy as that of Adobe Connect. (++)

2. Easy to Navigate. (++)

3. Recording Facility not available, So a big problem.(--)

4. Works fine for me in Debian Squeeze GNU/Linux.(++)

5. For sharing ppt with any font embedded it is good.(++)

6. The person who is sharing his desktop need to have good broadband
connection.(--)

7. Installation seems to be easy though I haven't tried it yet :D. (++)

8. Good Documentation available.(++)

  1. UI Interface is NOT that good. (--)

2. Easy to Navigate. (++)

3. Recording Facility available.(++)

4. Works fine for me in Debian Squeeze GNU/Linux.(++)

5. For sharing ppt, svg, rtf, txt, doc, xls, pdf it is good but WORSE if
that font is not commonly used and not Detected by it.(+-)

6. The person who is sharing his desktop need to have good broadband
connection.(--)

7. Installation seems to be easy though I haven't tried it yet :D. (++)

8. Good Documentation available but not easy to navigate.(+-)

  1. UI Interface WORST(--)

2. NOT easy to Navigate. (--)

3. Recording Facility available.(++)

4. Works fine for me in Debian Squeeze GNU/Linux.(++)

5. For sharing ppt with any font embedded it is good.(++)

6. The person who is sharing his desktop need to have MODERATE broadband
connection.VERY VERY bandwidth friendly(++)

7. Installation seems to be NOT easy though I haven't tried it yet :D. (--)

8. Good Documentation NOT available.(--)

*STILL IN BETA*

Please give your valuable comment regarding the same.

--
With Regards,
Gaurav Paliwal