Re: Fwd: [OPENMRS-DEV] Alpha Release of REST Web Services Module

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Knut Staring <knutst@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Brajesh,
>
> Sorry if my cross-posting offended you, please see my responses below:
>
> On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Brajesh Murari <brajesh2ndirari@xxxxxxxxx
> > wrote:
>
>> hi Knut,
>>
>> I extremly apologise for writing this but i want to know some thing,
>> 1. Are you advertising OpenMRS on DHIS2 mailing list...!
>>

> No. I have been forwarding messages that I find relevant to the people on
> this list, though I have cut down.

that's very nice Knut. Please don't treat yourself like you have been cut
down, there are so many people on "dhis2-devs" list
who like your microscopic view and ideas..which is always
been appreciated here...

>> 2. Do you think DHIS2 community need to track OpenMRS community
>> activities..
>>

> Definitely, especially in places like India (and elsewhere) where both
> systems are in use. But also because I think there is a lot to be learnt
> (both ways) from the developments in two quite similar open communities in
> the same (health) space, but with mostly different focus. You seem to feel
> that there is mainly antagonism and competition between the two projects -
> which is not how I see it. While I do think some competition is healthy, I
> see the relationship as much more complementary and potentially mutually
> beneficial, both in terms of learning (since similar technologies are in
> use) and in terms of integration and collaboration. An example is the module
> that can aggregate data in  OpenMRS into an SDMX message which DHIS2 can
> import.

That's deeply appreciated....but more specifically, i think integration
should be bidirectional rather than unidirectional...

> 3. Do you think DHIS2 api and application architecture is not so powerful
>> than OpenMRS one ....!
>>

> You are reading far too much into this. I think they are quite different,
> but there are hopefully enough similarities that we can learn something. I
> think DHIS2 has reached an excellent stage now, but of course we always
> strive to improve further. In this particular instance, I was happy to see
> the REST webservice API as well as the new standalone instance of OpenMRS
> which works on all major operating systems, and was hoping it could be of
> inspiration to us - in the spirit of openness and sharing. I am not
> suggesting we  imitate - but I think it is good to be aware.  However,
> people can of course subscribe to the OpenMRS lists themselves if they are
> interested, so I will be more restrictive with crossposting.

 your cross-postings are some times very valuable.

Knut