Re: Conversion of calculated data elements to indicators

Hi Jason

> 1) I suppose the CDE and indicator syntax is the same/compatible?

Yes. The CDE expressions are a bit verbose but perfectly legal.

> 2) What is the purpose of the "expression", "expressiondataelement" and
> "expressioncategorycombo" objects? Does it in anyway relate to a CDE or
> indicator?

Purpose is to maintain relational integrity for the data elements and
category option combos used in the expression. Eg if a data element is
deleted then there must be a way to update all expressions to maintain
validity. Indicators are not using expressions however, just CDE and
validation rules.

> 3) Assuming I can come up with a query to insert transformed CDEs into the
> indicator table, is there any other object I need to be aware of which may
> not bear a direct relation to the indicator object?

Not any I can think of.

> Also, just as an observation the  indicatortypeid and numerator both allow
> NULL fields. I think the denominator attribute can of course be NULL in the
> case of the new "number" indicator type which have essentially replaced
> CDEs, but I am not sure that it makes sense to allow NULL in the above
> mentioned fields. I know this is probably enforced through the UI, but it
> may be a change to consider for the model.
> Thanks and best regards,
> Jason

Yes you are right here, we need to go through the whole schema and
check that it is in sync with GUI.

Lars