Multiple DHIS2 instances on Windows

Hello all,

It has been a while since I last ran multiple DHIS2 instances (each with its
own database) on the same Windows server. Not sure if we have reached a
consensus as to best practice on this (I actually think the best practice
would be to run a Ubuntu server, but in many cases people find a change of
OS an additional burden when there is so much knowledge to absorb about
DHIS2 itself)

I see the following options:

1) Multiple war files in the same Tomcat or multiple Tomcats on different
ports. If so, just download the Tomcat zip file, not installer, and
configure for different ports.
2) Each dhis.war needs a separate hibernate.properties. Is this best done
inside the (exploded) war file, or is it best to create multiple environment
variables?

How to set the JAVA_OPTS? The server has only 3GB RAM...

If this has already been documented, I would be grateful for just a pointer.

Thanks,
Knut

Follow ups