Re: DHIS2 language translation - use Launchpad

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Jørn Braa <jornbraa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We just "lost" our French translation, problem with Norwegian
> keyboards and problems organising "team work" and step-wise continuous
> translation when needing to work directly on source code- Edem says
> iHRIS has web-based global translation of their text strings using
> Launchpad - in that way people can contribute and work can be
> organised better over time - this we should do also. How is Indian
> translation organised,with all those languages?

We do need to do something - the question is what. I think there has been
some reluctance in enforcing the usual package of development tools onto the
translators. However, at least some translators would be familiar with using
bazaar and commit the files like source files, and can use the desktop Java
client to work directly with the source.

However, the web based setup that Launchpad offers is quite attractive. I
looked at it over a year ago, and it seems nice, but I did not get all the
way, because of the difference between the way this is usually handled in
open source projects, using the PO format, versus our Java properties files.
But I do think it is doable, and worth looking into, as long as we can come
up with a good way to transform and sync:
https://launchpad.net/+tour/translation

 A similar issue is with the documentation - which should also ideally be
multi-lingual.

Knut