Re: survey of existing concepts

On 22 September 2011 11:40, Abyot Gizaw <abyota@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bob - thank you for making me happy :)  but poor me still not happy :(
>
> The thing is - I am against this idea of setting a path of (pre)configuring
> in dhis2.
>
> The strength of dhis2, and for me the key for it being used in multiple
> countries, is that it makes no particular assumptions about any practice or
> context. It only provides resources (the objects, the gui, the language,...
> and now the attribute thing) so that users design (I don't want to use the
> term configure here - because for me what users are doing is more than
> configuration) what they think is appropriate in their contexts. This for me
> has brought greater degree of flexibility and transportability for dhis2.
> And if we kind of embark on issues of (re)configuration, I am afraid we will
> undermine the flexibility/transportability capacity of dhis2.
>
> Well one might say it is only at the db level, we can remove that and start
> empty..... I don't know and I am not sure whether discussions of codifing
> those repeatedly appearing issues/concepts will not popup some where down
> the line.  I feel we should deliberately avoid issues of configurations !

OK.  I think there are advantages and disadvantages of pre-configuring
such things.  Personally I can see some advantage of having some
commonly used concepts in place and maybe even some standard
categoryoptions (Male, Female, Unknown, Not Applicable, Yes, No etc)
for the simple purpose of making the user design process less onerous
and perhaps even some guidance of good practice.  I say perhaps here
because I am cautious of prescribing what is and is not be good
practice and aware that good practice in one context may not be good
practice in another.  I think even in terms of AGE_GROUPs we probably
have a good idea of a set of most commonly used ones by now.  Which is
not to say that users cannot freely create as before.

It could be done differently.  A brand new out-of-the-box dhis2
install could come completely blank (except we would still need an
UNCLASSIFIED concept, in much the same way we need default
cateogoryoptioncombo).  And users have the option of installing a
'starter pack' from dhis2.org via dxf if they choose to.   In fact
that might be a cleaner separation.

Regards
Bob