Re: Two form transcription conundrums ...

Hi,

I think your data element/category definitions make sense in this
case. One should clearly not join the four category options you
mention into the same category here.

In Kenya we discovered that 90 % of the forms fit with the classic
data-elements-on-the-rows-and-categories-on-the-columns pattern,
meaning the auto-form function was not evil but rather quite handy.

When designing data elements it's also important to make sure it
becomes easy to produce analysis - ideally what you typically want to
look for in reports should act as data elements. Your approach here
might work fine but trying to define what sort of reports are required
before settling completely on the data elements might be smart.

Re the age categories issue I am not sure. It might work fine. Again
it might become a bit unwieldy when creating reports - you now need to
"remember" for which age category options this data is collected for
in order to avoid "blank cells" in reports/pivots. Anyway we will
improve this model soon.

Hope things went well in Rwanda.

cheers

Lars