Re: SMTP settings

On 24 January 2012 17:40, Jason Pickering <jason.p.pickering@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I could. I could also support username/password. The question is whether I
> should bother.
>
> My interpretation of the use case (or at least one of them) was a locally
> configured SMTP server (residing on the same server as the DHIS2 server)
> which would deliver all of the messages from the server.
>
> In this case, username/password and SSL would seem to be unnecessary.

Yes I think smtp authentication is the exception rather than the rule,
in non-cloud like mail setups, unlike eg Google.  Typically the MTA on
localhost will forward mail by default on that server without
authentication.  Likewise smtp servers would typically forward mail
for other machines on a domain or within a network without
authentication.

I agree with Jason that configuring mail on the local server
(providing it has a FQDN) is often the most convenient.  Related aside
- what are you using?  postfix?  I have setup exim but both of these
are really slightly over the top in terms of functionality.  Been
thinking of revisiting smail from my youth :-)

Cheers
Bob