Re: Ordering of category option names in the resource tables

On 20 February 2013 07:59, Lars Helge Øverland <larshelge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sorry for the late reply.
>

>> It was later discovered, probably when making pivot table views for
>> Excel would be my guess, that in fact a persisted name is quite handy
>> - many times easier than doing the sql equivalent of what is is done
>> in java to produce "(Male,<1)" (or "(<1,Male)" ).  So we created the
>> _catoptcomboname table.
>

> This is right. The names when used inside the application are generated on
> the fly based on the category options and category combination. When
> creating SQL reports, however, it is tricky to generate this (for anyone
> except Jason that is;), so we decided to have a resource table for it. The
> reason for not putting it on the categoryoptioncombo table is that this
> table is generated by Hibernate and is part of the domain model - it is by
> many people including me considered bad practice to tamper with entity
> database tables. Having a separate table is cleaner and not really a
> problem. One might also want to expand this with more information later.

My suggestion was that the name should be part of the model, not that we
just add columns to the entity tables, which I agree would be bad.  The
categoryoptioncombo name *is* part of the java implementation of the model.
 In fact it currently even extends BaseNameableObject.  And there is a
working assumption in the system that these things have names.  Everything
else in our model with a name has a field added to the model rather than a
separate table.  So it would have been good practice (I think) to maintain
the pattern.

Still this is far from the most pressing of our concerns ..