Re: Importing Organisation Units

Thanks Jason,
I personally found ogr2ogr a challenge on my machine. Which is why I was suggesting a range of options. Will explore these. Thanks again.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Pickering <jason.p.pickering@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 10:18:47
To: <jerome.shaguy@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Dhis2-devs<dhis2-devs-bounces+jeromeshaguy=gmail.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Knut Staring<knutst@xxxxxxxxx>; DHIS 2 developers<dhis2-devs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Dhis2-devs] Importing Organisation Units

Hi Jerome,

Your contributions to the manual would be of course most welcome to
everyone. Let me know if you need more info about making changes, but
it is described in detail here
(http://www.dhis2.org/doc/snapshot/en/user/html/apa.html)

The other ways which I know about to transform data into GML include:

1) ogr2ogr (which of course is the method described in the manual)
2) Other GIS packages such as ArcGIS (commercial), FWTools (free),
QGIS (free) and Manifold (commercial)  all work quite well.
3) There are a whole host of Spatial ETL tools out there which can do
the job. My personal choice would be FME from Safe Software, which is
commercial. GeoKettle is an open source alternative which is very
capable as well.
4) R and various packages which go along with it (maptools, rgdal,
XML) is also another alternative.

I am sure there are other methods.

So, there is no set recipe. It really depends on which tools you are
most familiar with and have at your disposal. It would be great to
have a "Shape file loader" or "Excel loader" which would do this job
for you, but normally, there is a lot of work which needs to go into
being sure the source data is clean enough to load into DHIS2. Again,
there has been no set recipe I have seen, and will always depend on
the data source and how "clean" it is with respect to what needs to be
loaded into DHIS2.

Best regards,
Jason