XAMPP and C:\opts\dhis2

After much investigation, I now understand why I had trouble with running
DHIS2 from XAMPP. It seems that when you install XAMPP on a Windows drive
(say C:\) and start Tomcat with the dhis.war file, a folder called
C:\opts\dhis2 will automatically get created, and DHIS2 will look for
hibernate.properties in that folder, no matter what DHIS2_HOME says.

Can someone tell me why this happens? It is confusing, because DHIS starts,
but one just cannot log in.

Knut