Re: Setting MinMax Values

Hi Dapo,
If you were to generate the min-max values automatically, insert them into
the database, and an authorized user was to change them, then they would be
overwritten.

You can automatically generate these values through the data administration
module by dataset and orgunit in Data Administration->Min-Max Value
Generation . The problem is you often end up with a lot of dubious values,
such as negative numbers. This is a result of the Gaussian distribution
model which is applied (without taking any skewness into effect). I have
attached a plot from a real DHIS2 database, which show sthat the
distribution of many in DHIS2 are skewed left or right (more often to the
right) . Use of an unbounded, normal distribution for calculation of the
min-max is therefore not really appropriate. The standard deviation
approach is also highly sensitive to outliers, which also creates problems
for the outlier analysis if this approach is used. Anyway, I digress. Just
wanted to highlight that the in-built functions for calculation of the
min-max are rather primitive, and may not always lead to good results.

I am not so sure about the ability to restrict the time periods for which
the mix-max is generated. I think you would end up with far too few data
points to make a meaningful standard deviation. You are really looking for
the extremes with the min-max, and restricting to such a a narrow time
interval would probably not give you these extremes.

Regards,
Jason