Re: [Dhis2-users] Analytics history

Its an interesting problem.  I know the Ghana Health Service has gone
through this pain recently enough with substantial district boundary
reorganisation.  They might want to comment on their experience to date.

One observation worth making is that it is more rare for health facilities
(points) to come and go as it is with administrative layers (polygons).  So
after you have gone through one of those dreaded boundary reshuffles and
the dust has settled, usually the facilities are still there but shuffled
under new parents.

In general it is probably more useful when comparing current with
historical trends for example, to be able to generate the analytics tables
for the past *as if they existed within the boundaries of the present*.
So if 2 districts have become 3 in 2013, it is hard to find a sensible way
to look at the current district level data in relation to past performance
unless you imagine those districts also existed back then.

In terms of rolling back the time machine (and the above exercise could
also be done in reverse - how are we doing now on the basis of last years
boundaries?) I agree there is not a perfect solution.  My own inclination
(and Alvin I've briefly discussed this with you) would be to archive the
xml metadata in an xml database periodically and also before cataclysmic
changes.  This way it would be relatively trivial to recall versioned
snapshots of, for example, orgunit metadata and import and apply them to
current data.

We do (I hope we do) routine and automated backups as a matter of course.
 Perhaps including a metadata snapshot as part of that scheduled job (curl
to the /aip/metaData endpoint) piped into an xml database is a useful
addition to the general db backup.

Caveat: this is completely speculative and I haven't done this anywhere.

Bob