Disaggregation setup advice

Hi All,

I'm working with a client on defining data elements and disaggregations,
and I have a question for anyone with experience on such issues. The
requirement is that a certain data element has disaggregations, call them
(A, B, C, D). Then A is further disaggregated into A1 and A2. I'm wondering
how best to model this. Possibilities include:

1. Make a single disaggregation category whose options are (A1, A2, B, C,
D). Then if I want to see the total for A, I could define an indicator for
the sum of data element:A1 and data element:A2.

2. Define two categories, one with options (A, B, C, D) and another with
options (A1, A2, --). Then define a data set section and use "Section grey
field management" to eliminate all combinations except (A:A1, A:A2, B:--,

Model 2 seems somewhat contrived for this scenario, so I think model 1 is
better. Are there any other models I should consider? Or any other wisdom
on this?

Cheers,
Jim