Re: Web GUI for Query Development

Here is an example of some pg_hba.conf settings with comments which people
might find useful.  The database in this case is on a separate server.  The
application server (with tomcat and all) is on a machine called appserver
on 192.168.1.102.  Other machines we want to allow to connect from the
office are on the 192.168.2.0 subnet.

# do peer identification on unix domain (local) sockets
local   all             postgres             peer
local   all             all                        peer

# you need the following if you have dhis running on same machine as
database server
# because its java it can't use the unix domain sockets above, so we allow
direct non-ssl
# connection through tcp socket with password
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32            md5
# IPv6 local connections:
host    all             all             ::1/128                 md5

# special treatment for our appserver - it is in the same cabinet as the db
server connected via local backplane so we allow
# non-ssl connection from this machine only which is something of a speed
vs security tradeoff
host   all  all  192.168.1.102/32   md5

# allow MOH lan to connect but must use ssl
hostssl  all all  192.168.2.0/24  md5
# Only if you must - allow world to connect but definitely must use ssl
# I don't really like this, but frequently people want it because they want
to connect through various routes
# At the very least we insist on ssl
# hostssl  all all  0.0.0.0/0  md5

# This would be better, using ssl client cert, effectively equivalent to
Jason's openvpn
# It has the same headache of managing the distribution of client certs
# hostssl  all all  0.0.0.0/0  cert

Thats it.  At least it reflects my understanding of postgres access
settings.  Happy to accept improvements and/or clarifications.

Bob