Advocating for changes to Data (values) Model/Table in DHIS2

Hi Devs

I'd like to advocate for changes to the DHIS2 data model - to cater for
data-provider.

In South Africa we are anticipating a complex environment filled with
electronically generated (aggregate) data going into DHIS2 (e.g. from
medical record systems). In one example in the Western Cape - data enters
the DHIS2 from a patient record system (known as PREHMIS). Alongside this -
data is also entered manually but all at the same facility. To accomplish
this we had to configure a hierarchy structure that catered for:

i) PREHMIS generated data (inserted electronically),
ii) offline-PREHMIS data (entered manually),
iii) community-outreach data (entered manually),
iv) facilities without PREHMIS (entered manually, a combination of i and
ii) and
v) grand-totals at facility level

We resolved to configure a complex list of OU6 repunits and it seems to be
working so far. My question is - should we not be catering for
data-providers as part of our data model? If we continue to solve
complexity issues through the organisational hierarchy - we're setting
ourselves up for an interesting data management situation. We will be left
with a Cartesian-product of data-provider 'types' all stored inside the
organisationunit table for each and every OU5. Is this something we can
solve with a dataproviderID ?

Right now in South Africa we're working on a data-dictionary and we plan to
cater for data providers (or information systems). Our goal is to create a
national Data-Dictionary that acts as a registry of information systems,
(Master) facility and hierarchy information, (eventuall) a facility
classification registry, and a registry of data elements and indicators. I
believe this supplements the WHO/PEPFAR expectations of a MFL...

I want us to plan forward for a universal data warehouse that caters for
all types of aggregated-data whether they are submitted electronically
or collected manually but solving this with the organisationHierarchy is
going to be messy. Time to start planning our way through this guys...?

Best,
Greg

--

Business Intelligence Planner