Fwd: GSOC_2014 Scriptable SMS parsing

Hi All

I'm a MPhil student at University of Colombo School of Computing. Also a
successful GSOCer for Dbpedia project last year. My current research
includes Information retrieval, NLP, Semantic web, Ontologies ect. I have
also done some research in the aria of Disaster management and ICT4D.

I'm interested in above idea. I went through the some of the discussion
treads of above idea on the maling list and read the Saptarshi's and
Peder's replies.

Here is my draft proposal for above idea.

In mobile environment target texts include many morphological variations
(e.g. blank omission, typos, word abbreviation). Parsing is not feasible
for messages in which both the syntax and the spelling are unreliable. So
my idea is to propose an alternative approach which uses pattern matching
rather than parsing. The idea is to try to effect the equivalent of a parse
by matching each SMS against a number of a patterns appropriate to the DHIS
data elements. The proposed approach would matches sentences with manually
generated templates initially (later to be extended semi-automatic
approach) to identify DHIS data elements and the data values associated
with them.

e.g. template

"The <DataEelement> of <<SomeValue/Element>> is <<DataValue>>"

Do you think this is a good way of achieving above task?

--
Regards

Kasun Perera

Follow ups