Interested in GSOC WebDriver (Selenium 2) based framework for automated test scripts

Hi,

My Name is Rasheed and I am a student doing masters in computer science.
Through Google Summer of Code, I noticed a project idea for which you are
mentoring, i.e., "WebDriver (Selenium 2) based framework for automated test
scripts".

As part of a recent project I undertook at my university, I used C#.net
along with Selenium 2 WebDriver for UI and Specflow/Gherkin/Fit
for Behaviour driven tests. The project was to build an asset and liability
valuation framework along with risk metrics and was to provide data using
web services. It's user interface was built in C# and JavaScript.

My task in the project was to utilize my programming and testing skills to
setup the selenium framework and specflow for allowing us to use BDD
scenarios. This allowed me to gain some insight in the working of selenium
web driver API. Using Selenium, I managed to automate some UI tests which
would otherwise take us lot of time to manually test.

I also used these tests to perform some security testing and ensure that
any changes we make to the user interface do not break the end to end
scenarios and that tests are written in a way which allows them to be
reused. Now here is where i utilized Specflow/Gherkin to write reusable
scenarios that helped my project achieve better test coverage.

I noticed that Java is the preferred language in DHIS2 and I am familiar
with object oriented principles and with the fundamentals of Java and I am
confident that with your mentoring and self learning, i can use the skills
learned on the mentioned project and can transfer them to DHIS2 using Java,
should I be provided the opportunity.

The reason I want to apply for DHIS2 project is its novel approach in
collection, validation, analysis, and presentation of data would allow me
to learn more about building dashboards and rich visualization features. I
see myself learning UI automation and integration testing with your
mentoring and gain further insight in the best practices used by your
reputable organisation.

I would love to discuss this idea in further detail with you and see how I
can be of help to the project and learn about the scale and complexity of
project's implementation sites. I see great vision in this project not only
from technical perspective but also from health industry's perspective. I
hope to learn more from your mentoring whilst contribute my best to open
source.

Please let me know what I can do to show my ability to work with your
prestigious organisation on this project. Thanks for reading so far. I can
be reached at gsocrbutt@xxxxxxxxx

Kind Regards,
Rasheed.