[GSoC 2014] Congratulations and Welcoming Students to DHIS2

Dear Students and Mentors,

As most of you might have seen, DHIS2 is participating in its 2nd year as a
mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code 2014. Last year we had 4
students, all of whom developed useful functionality during the summer.

Congratulations to the 6 students who will work with us over the summer!!
We hope that you will have a lot of fun and the community will appreciate
your work at the end of this summer. The following projects and students
are below:

1. Jonas Hörsch <https://code.launchpad.net/~coroa> - A decision-support
tool for stronger immunization program
Mentors: Sophie Newland, Richard Anderson

2. Kamil Kwasny - Scriptable SMS parsing
Mentors: Ngô Thanh Long, Peder Andreas Nergaard

3. Araz Abishov <http://arazabishov.wordpress.com/> - Enhanced android
client for DHIS2
Mentors: Morten Olav Hansen, Olav Poppe, Peder Andreas Nergaard,

4. Gianluca Carbone <http://www.gianlucacarbone.it> - WebDriver based
framework for automated test scripts
 Mentors: Saptarshi Purkayastha, Jan Henrik Øverland

5. Anum Hassan <http://dhis2gsoc.blogspot.co.uk/> - Allow data entry from
OpenDataKit
Mentors: Jim Grace, Saptarshi Purkayastha

6. J. Ricardo de Juan Cajide <http://ricardodejuan.wordpress.com/> - JSON
enabled storage API
Mentors: Morten Olav Hansen, Abyot Gizaw

The next few weeks, as mentioned in the GSoC
timeline<http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2014>,
is the *Community Bonding Period till 19th May*. We believe this is the
most crucial period and is an important indicator if the student will do
well over the summer.

As students, you should ask questions, improve your GSoC application, make
project deliverables, understand the project goals and ways to reach it.
You should *create a blog* and announce it to the developers list, so that
others from the community can follow your work. As mentors, you should
answer questions from your students and *at least have one Skype/phone
call*with them to explain to them your vision about the project. The
reason why
Google runs GSoC (and we agree) is to make current students become long
term contributors to open-source. This happens when you communicate and
become active community players.

Congratulations again to the students!!

---
Regards,