Re: DHIS2 - Averaging over orgunits

For what its worth the following is the sql I used to extract the latest
value of a population dataelement.  I am sure it could be generalized and
maybe implemented as a getLastValue method on a dataelement.

-- function returns most recent population estimate (and year) for
-- an orgunitid
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION getLatestPopulation(orgunitid int, out value,
out year)
AS $$
BEGIN
  SELECT DISTINCT ON (sourceid)
    value as population,
    extract(year from startdate)
  INTO
    value, year
  FROM datavalue
    join period on period.periodid=datavalue.periodid
    join organisationunit on
organisationunit.organisationunitid=datavalue.sourceid
    join dataelement on dataelement.dataelementid=datavalue.dataelementid
  WHERE
    organisationunit.organisationunitid = orgunitid AND
    -- better to use domething like dataelement.code='POP'
    -- better still to parameterize it
    dataelement.name ='Population Total' AND
    extract(year from startdate) <= extract('year' from current_timestamp)
  ORDER BY sourceid,startdate DESC;
END