What is the purpose of the lockexceptionid in lockexception?

I had a request today to deal with some lock exceptions..rather large
numbers of them. With several hundred facilities, 10 data sets, and 12
periods, we ended up with many, and it was not really efficient to use the
user interface for this. So, we created some SQL to inject these into the
lockexception table. When looking at the table, what is not really clear is
why there is a separate primary key (lockexceptionid). Why is there a need
to have multiple orgunit/period/dataset combinations here? It would seem
that a unique constraint on orgunit/periodid/dataset would be much simpler
and enforce some integrity as well.

Regards,
Jason

--