Re: Confusing Use license on dhis2 website

Bob/Than,

A bit amusing that you do find stuff like that. probably just reflect that
different people think differently, and that we have never had a
lawyer-type going through all of it and streamline.

Conceptually, my understanding has always been that all our software and
materials are free for people to download, re-distribute, and modify - as
long as the original license etc follows it, and as long as people are not
ABUSING it for commercial gain (as in selling the software to somebody who
does not know it's FOSS - strange, but that kind of thing CAN happen just
like e.g. a student or an author might copycat materials and present them
as his/her own).

That said, my (limited) understanding of the law is that in order for you
to enforce such a license, you HAVE to establish COPYRIGHT over said
software and materials. So you are basically saying that "this
software/materials is OUR copyright because we have developed them - and we
choose to allow anybody to download them, use them, re-distribute them, and
use them for further development"

Conceptually very similar to the historic standards for any scientific
publication - all use are encouraged EXCEPT that of copy-cat-ing
(presenting it as your own), including attempting to disprove the content.

Regards
Calle