Re: webAPI Handler for DHIS2

Hi Greg,

The DHIS2 Web API uses built-in functions from Spring MVC, which converts
Java objects to various formats such as XML, JSON etc. Spring lets you
deploy exisiting converters or allow you to write your own if you want some
special format. Each of the API endpoints are Spring MVC controllers that
handle the various REST-calls.

You can see these controllers in
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~dhis2-devs-core/dhis2/trunk/files/head:/dhis-2/dhis-web/dhis-web-api/src/main/java/org/hisp/dhis/webapi/controller/

he slides from lectures 2, 3 and 4 of the INF5750 course (
http://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat/ifi/INF5750/h14/lecture-presentations/
) gives you some background on how this is done. However, some of the calls
in the API are a bit magical, which makes it a bit difficult to read, going
beyond 'plain Spring MVC'.

The API implementation is a module within DHIS2, so while it's modular,
it's closely linked to the internal APIs and data models.

Best regards,
Lars

Best regards,
Lars