Re: Some musings on architecture (Was: Possible issue with GML import)

Hi Knut,

To me it makes little sense to be quite honest. QGIS and other tools can do
all of this, remarkably well. Yes, it is maybe not the smoothest workflow,
but on the other hand, does it really make sense to invest time and money
into developing a custom tool for transformation, manipulation and export
of geographical data?

What about another example... a tool to import Excel sheets, instead of
CSV. Metadata import via CSV is supported, but why should we not direct
import of Excel files? I am sure an app could be developed for this, but
since Excel can do this so trivially, it would seem to really make little
sense to do so.

This is my feeling as well with the geographical data. There are so many
other things which we do not cover, such as the linkage between an existing
hierarchy and a shape file, resolution of broken topology, cleansing of
donuts holes which often result from generalization, etc. Will these be
covered as well? Also, in my experience, we do always  derive the hierarchy
itself from the shape file (although in certain cases this may happen). How
would the proposed tool address all of these use cases, and would it not be
better to create detailed guidance on how to do these sorts of tasks with
more general tools instead? After all, there are only so many countries.

I do not want to put a damper on the development of this app, as I think it
could be useful to some, but feel it will be a lot of trouble to keep it up
and maintained as the platform itself changes.

My two cents.

Best regards,
Jason