mvn jetty:run gives error 503

Hello,

I was interested in seeing how DHIS2 is put together. I followed the steps
in:
  https://www.dhis2.org/development

and Jetty started with DHIS2 built off of tip. But then,
http://localhost:8080/ gives error 503, "service unavailable". And I cannot
for the life of me figure out where to look for logs to see why. (There are
some tracebacks thrown by Jetty while starting, but they seem unrelated,
and it still ends up starting fine...)

If there are more docs I should be reading about how to debug the system
when working with it as a developer, please point them out. I found the
docs about how to set up logging in a production system, but I don't really
see how they relate to the config proposed by the development web page
(i.e. mvn jetty:run)

Thanks,
  -jeff

Follow ups