Default Sharing for new Objects

Devs,

I poked around at
https://www.google.jo/#q=default+sharing+site:https://lists.launchpad.net/dhis2-devs/&start=0
and didn't find anyone else suggesting this. I'm having trouble with the
blue print system so I am submitting this as my draft until I figure that
out.

Are there any plans to make a "Default Sharing for New Objects created by
user X"? Currently when a private user (with only private permissions for
creating objects) creates an object they are defaulted to not share with
anyone. This is fine and easily fixed, but the process can be daunting if
one is looking share 100 or so data elements, all of the catcombos used,
all the categories, all the category options, all the indicators, datasets,
etc... It is equally hard when a user missed a single object in the stack
and suddenly the data entry form won't appear for any other users and there
is no indication why.

One potential solution is to add a "default sharing for objects created by
user X" and attach it to each user upon creation and have it be editable by
the users via their account, and administrations via the user app.

It can reuse the exact same sharing window used everywhere, and appear on
the user creation/edit page, or be a secondary option in a right click
window, or even look and act like the following:

[image: Inline image 2]

1. All public user groups auto appear with "Default" or "Not shared" or "No
additional Sharing"
2. Added groups to the user groups section will add private groups
dynamically to this list with the same default sharing type in number 1
3. Only those changed to "Can view" or "Can Edit and View" will be entered
into the (new) table keeping track of "Default Sharing for New Objects
created by this user"
4. Each new object created by that user will auto assume that sharing
selection in their profile.

So in this examples case, each new object would be auto shared with the
following:
Public or Private based on that user's roles
Bo District M&E officers "Can Edit and View"
Bonthe District M&E Officers "Can View"

This would be a great help for removing confusion for users of private
objects, especially when they don't have the full understanding of how
sharing works, as the administrator can ensure an automatic basic level of
sharing.

*Timothy Harding*
Sr. Systems Analyst, BAO Systems
+1 202-536-1541 | tharding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx | http://www.baosystems.com | Skype: