Re: [Dhis2-users] Dealing with Updated/Expired data elements/indicators

Hi Craig,

In South Africa we have a Indicator dataset review process every 2 years
and the revision is released officially to all users so it is largely a
transparent process

The outcome usually results in a mixture of the following:
1) Indicators and their related elements being dropped off - these are
moved to an inactive group and ensure that they are removed from used
datasets. The indicators simply don't calculate anymore so that is not
really a problem. You can also control access to these by restricting
sharing settings but that might affect access to historic reporting.
2) Indicators and their related data elements name changes. These are
simply matched with the old name/renamed and data collection tools adapted.
Since the finalised review document is shared this is a transparent process.
3) New indicators and data elements are simply commenced
4) Changed indicator formulas, we don't do that often but have a few such
scenarios and the solution depends on the change E g we had an indicator
with a constant factor of 1.07 in a population element pre-inserted and now
want to change it to 1.05 but don't want to affect the previous indicator
values. What we doing is to create a data element and pre-inserting the
value x 1.07 until period xx and x 1.05 after period xx. For some other
indicators we rename them to (old) but it can be tricky if some of the data
elements are still being collected.

Hope this helps.

Elmarie Claasen
HISP-SA
On 17 Nov 2015 05:17, "Craig Hollingsworth" <craig.hollingsworth@xxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Hope all are well.
>
> I can envisage a situation where a given indicator/data element is changed
> in some way (perhaps a changed calculation or definition). For historical
> reporting purposes we would want to keep the old version of the
> indicator/data element but would prefer that it is not apparent for
> standard users that are building new datasets.
>
> Does anyone have any experience of this that they could share - how they
> went about dealing with it?
>
> Have thought about a group for active/inactive items or perhaps changing
> the name to indicate it is inactive, but not sure what would be the best
> approach.
>
> Would be good to hear your experiences.
>

> Cheers
>
> Craig

*This message and any attachments are subject to a disclaimer published at
http://www.hisp.org/policies.html#comms_disclaimer
<http://www.hisp.org/policies.html#comms_disclaimer>.  Please read the
disclaimer before opening any attachment or taking any other action in
terms of this electronic transmission.  If you cannot access the
disclaimer, kindly send an email to disclaimer@xxxxxxxx
<disclaimer@xxxxxxxx> and a copy will be provided to you. By replying to
this e-mail or opening any attachment you agree to be bound by the
provisions of the disclaimer.*