Setting up Email

Dear All,

I tried setting up email on an instance with SMTP using Google Apps
settings. Following are the settings I used.

hostname: smtp.gmail.com
port: 465
username: xxx@xxxxxxx
password: ****
Email sender: xxx@xxxxxxx
TLS enabled

But, testing email is never received at my emaiil account.

When I checked catalina.out it contained following errors.

* INFO  2015-12-28 16:03:45,413 Sending email to user: XXX with email
address: xxx@xxxxxxx to host: smtp.gmail.com:1 (EmailMessageSender.java
[SimpleAsyncTaskExecutor-15])
* WARN  2015-12-28 16:04:45,491 Could not send email: Sending the email to
the following server failed : smtp.gmail.com:1,
org.apache.commons.mail.EmailException: Sending the email to the following
server failed : smtp.gmail.com:1
        at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.sendMimeMessage(Email.java:1410)
        at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.send(Email.java:1437)
        at
org.hisp.dhis.message.EmailMessageSender.sendMessage(EmailMessageSender.java:150)
        at
        at
        at
org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:317)
        at
org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:190)
        at
org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:157)
        at
org.springframework.aop.interceptor.AsyncExecutionInterceptor$1.call(AsyncExecutionInterceptor.java:110)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host:
smtp.gmail.com, port: 1;
  nested exception is:
        java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out
        at
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:1972)
        at
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.protocolConnect(SMTPTransport.java:642)
        at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:317)
        at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:176)
        at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:125)
        at javax.mail.Transport.send0(Transport.java:194)
        at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:124)
        at org.apache.commons.mail.Email.sendMimeMessage(Email.java:1400)
        ... 12 more
Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out
        at
java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:345)
        at
java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:206)
        at
java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:188)
        at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)
        at
com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.createSocket(SocketFetcher.java:317)
        at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.getSocket(SocketFetcher.java:233)
        at
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:1938)
        ... 19 more
 (EmailMessageSender.java [SimpleAsyncTaskExecutor-15])

//////////////////////////////////

it contains could not connect to SMTP host and connection timed out. Do I
need to set anything else on Tomcat config? What am I missing here.

Thank you

Pamod Amarakoon

Confidentiality Notice: the information contained in this email and any
attachments may be legally privileged and confidential. If you are not an
distribution, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and permanently
delete the e-mail and any attachments immediately. You should not retain,
copy or use this e-mail or any attachments for any purpose, nor disclose
all or any part of the contents to any other person.

Follow ups