Incorporating complex formulas into indicators and validations

Hello, all,

I am posing a general question to the groups which does not necessarily
pertain to any specific version of DHIS.

We have a need to perform rather complex calculations to create indicators.
One current need of ours can be summarized as follows:

IF facility data exists for this list (A) of data elements, sum these (A)
data elements
ELSE
IF facility data exists for this list (B) of data elements, sum these (B)
data elements
ELSE
IF facility data exists for this list (C) of data elements, sum these (C)
data elements
ELSE
sum these (D) data elements captured at the SUB-facility level

We don't think native DHIS can accommodate the above example. (If it can,
please enlighten me.) We are exploring alternatives that can function with
DHIS, such as calling and external application from DHIS to perform the
calculation and returning the result to DHIS for reporting needs.

I imagine we are not alone in needing more robust formula creation and was
hoping the members of the DHIS community could share with us their
solutions. Has anyone incorporated a work around for complex formulas to
create indicators or validation rules?

Thanks in advance for your input.

*Laura E. Lincks*
Database Manager/Developer