Re: "All" authority no longer granting access to programs?

Thank you all. I'm with Tim. I don't know if this is still up for
reconsideration or reversal, but it seems to me a bad idea to ship with a
"Superuser" role, and an "ALL" authority, neither of which gives access to
all authorities.

*For installations that do not use tracker for personal data that needs
protection* (like DATIM, which uses tracker for site surveys), this is just
confusing. User interface design is all about predictability, and words
like "all" and "superuser" have unquestioned meanings in many of our heads.
I know this wasted a bit of Tim's time, and it would have done the same for
me. It would never occur to me that we would intentionally design software
to use words like these and not have them mean the obvious things. For
users who are just getting to know the product, either they don't know
about these exceptions in which case they misunderstand the software and
could be in for a surprise of unpredictable behavior, or they know about
them in which case they will have the feeling that this is
strangely-designed software that doesn't always live up to expectations.
The more unpredictable or inconsistent our software is, the lower will be
our users' opinion of it.

*For installations that use tracker for personal data that needs protection*,
they need to be serious about protecting the data. If they hand out too
many superuser roles with the "ALL" authority, they will have a problem in
any event, as Tim points out, since these users could assign themselves the
tracker authority. A much better solution, and one we should recommend, is
to not assign either the "ALL" authority or the tracker authorities except
to users who really need them. It's better to have a well-planned security
system than to have the illusion that they are protected when they are not
really. This feature could actually reduce security by giving the illusion
that it is there.

In short, I think the benefits of having Superuser and ALL not include the
tracker are at best questionable and at worst misleading into a false sense
of security, while the costs are real and negative.

My humble opinion.

Cheers,
Jim

--