Re: [Dhis2-users] Creation of CategoryOptionCombinations

Hi Lars,

I'm not using them for data-element disaggregation, I also understand that this
would be a bit awkward, as this would technically result in millions of
dataElements, if I understood the concept correctly.

I am using them as categoryCombination for a dataSet. In my current
understanding this is the one structure in DHIS2 that comes closest to classical
cubes with facts (aka dataelements) and dimensions (aka categories). Usecase
would be aggregated patient data with dataElements like {Headcount, Weight,
Size, FeesPaid} in the dataset with categories like {AgeGroup, Gender, JobGroup,
InsuranceScheme}. The data are not entered via data entry form (which would also
be awkward), but imported via api from a group-by sql on a source system with
relational DB. This enables reports/pivots/graphs like "Number of patients by
AgeGroup and Gender" or "Fees Collected by JobGroup and InsuranceScheme" or any
other combination of the categories. Works nicely for five dimensions so far.

Of course I could think about creating dataElements per AgeGroup or even
AgeGroup/Gender combination (which makes a lot of sense in the context of manual
data entry from manual summary reports), but for the sake of flexibility I
prefer datamodels with few dataElements and lots of dimensions.

Hope that clarifies the scenario a bit ...

Thanks,

Uwe