Re: Data elements with both option set and free text

Hi ,
I hope that this was removed, as it has proven to be a source of problems
when using option sets. The reason is that if you allow people to put
whatever into that box, they will do exactly that, rendering results in
analytics basically useless. So, the correct way would be to have an option
set like

1) Foo
2) Bar
3) Baz
4) Other

with a textual data element like "Specify". That way, you can get useful
analytics results out of the majority of responses, and then have to deal
with a means of classifying those which fall into other.

Othrewise, you may as well just allow people to enter free-text, rendering
any analysis much more difficult if not impossible due to the amount of
garbage which will result during data entry.

That's my take on it.

Regards,
Jason