DHIS2 API feedback

Hi DHIS2 devs!

We've been using your API for a while now, and if the experience has been
mostly pleasant, there are some aspects which are making our work more
difficult, so I wanted to let you know what would make our life easier:

   - *Return IDs of created items:* when we create a meta data (org unit,
   data element, etc), the API should return the newly created object id (or
   ids if multiple ones). Failed to do so require us to make a second call
   using a field to fetch the object back, this being a risky thing when
   fields are not always unique. Same thing when a batch process occurs,
   having something such "2 updated, 2 ignored" does not help me - I need to
   know which have been updated and which not so that my app can react
   accordingly.

   - *Respect user rights management:* if I can only access some object
   using the app with a given user/password, I should have exactly the same
   rights throught the API - the way I access the app should not impact what I
   can see/do

Cf my previous mail, the additionnal point is to have a lot of thought
before altering the API in a backward incompatible change - this can break
a lot of software, and at minimum to document those closely.

I'll be happy to discuss more on those topics, and to contribute any help
that can be useful.

Martin

Follow ups