Re: [Dhis2-users] 25 hours in completing Analytic

Dear Neeraj,

The physical database size doesn't matter much, even the number of records
don't matter. In my experience the biggest problem that one can going to
run in to is not size, but the number of queries you can handle at a time
instance specially during analytic functionality execution. Most probably
you should going to have to move to a master/slave configuration of your
database, so that the read queries can run against the slaves and the write
queries run against the master. However, if you and your database
management team are not ready for this than, you can tweak your indexes for
the queries you are running to speed up the response times. Also there is a
lot of tweaking you can do to the network stack and kernel in Linux where
MySQL Server has been installed that will help.Perhaps, I would focus first
on your indexes, then have a server admin look at your OS, and if all that
doesn't help it might be time to implement a master/slave configuration.
The most important scalability factor is RAM. If the indexes of your tables
fit into memory and your queries are highly optimized in analytic
functionality, you can serve a reasonable amount of requests with a average
machine. The number of records do matter, depending of how your tables look
like. It's a difference to have a lot of varchar fields or only a couple of
ints or longs. The physical size of the database matters as well,  think of
backups, for instance. Depending on your engine, your physical db files on
grow, but don't shrink, for instance with innodb. So deleting a lot of
rows, doesn't help to shrink your physical files. Thus the database size
does matter. If you have more than one table with more than a million
records, then performance starts indeed to degrade. Indexig is one of the
important stand need to take care, If you hit one million records you will
get performance problems, if the indices are not set right (for example no
indices for fields in "WHERE statements" or "ON conditions" in joins). If
you hit 10 million records, you will start to get performance problems even
if you have all your indices right. Hardware upgrades - adding more memory
and more processor power, especially memory - often help to reduce the most
severe problems by increasing the performance again, at least to a certain
degree.