release cycle: from 4 to 3 releases per year

Hi all,

we would like to let you know that the release cycle for DHIS 2 will be be
shifting from 4 to 3 yearly releases. The upcoming releases look like this:

2.27: June 1, 2017
2.28: October 1, 2017
2.29: February 1, 2018

A few observations led to this change:

- The machinery around DHIS 2 of documentation, academy materials, release
notes, web pages and so on is getting larger and the overhead of updating
it for each release is becoming significant.

- Implementing organizations seem to be lagging a few releases behind the
latest on average in terms of testing and roll-out. This leads to a large
demand for back-porting of fixes and even features, consuming a lot of
developer time.

So by reducing the number of releases by one we hope to reduce the overhead
and free more time for new development. We promise to remain agile and
user-driven in spite of this change.

best regards,

Lars

--