Re: release cycle: from 4 to 3 releases per year

Lars, has there been any recent discussion over adopting an ubuntu-style
approach of two types of release?

I think a lot of people running large national setups with 1000's of users
would be happy to see a long-term-service release maybe once a year with at
least guaranteed security related backports for maybe two years.  Then
maybe two more bleeding edge releases in the year for those who really need
the latest functionality and have the agility to upgrade frequently.

The numbers above can be different, but I think the idea of two types of
release might have some merit.   I wonder what would be the main arguments
for and against.  We want to continue to release-often-release-early to
maintain momentum.  But also provide some stability.  These aims tend to
work against each other :-)  Anyway I'd be interested to hear what people
think.