Re: IMPLEMENTATION OF STAND ALONE TRACKER CAPTURE/PROGRAMS

Stanley,

I understand your frustration, and others are having similar challenges.
Although Em Le Hong is factually correct when stating that Tracker Capture
App do work in offline mode, the current APK has significant stability and
functionality issues and it's not easy to e.g. get new functionality
developed on the browser side supported.

A new Android SDK is being worked on that hopefully will address some of
these issues, but it is right now not clear when it will be ready
(according to the Roadmap for 2.27 it should be ready to piloting now, but
it is not).

I also recently asked Abyot what the main issues/challenges are for
supporting offline Tracker capture, but I've received no response to that
yet (he might be on paternity leave - not sure).

You are suggesting the use of localised installations with "uploading of
meta-data" (I presume you mean uploading of Tracker Enrollment & staging
data, not "meta-data"). I'm not aware of anybody who has tried that for a
national/wide-area Tracker Program, but I suspect it will be an uphill
battle - in particular if your enrollments are supposed to be unique across
the whole system (you don't provide any details about which country/area
this is, how complicated your tracker programs are, the tentative time-span
for each program, etc).

My first option would be a major effort to improve connectivity, using a
mix of booster antennas, wide-area wireless, and/or VSAT or similar. If you
go the distributed installation route, I would NOT use "manual" email but
rather develop a customised solution for automated, asynchronous
communication between the local installation and the central server. It's
would require a lot of development work, though, and every new DHIS2
version release might further maintenance of such a custom solution.

So in my view, rather use those resources to improve connectivity....

My 2c worth

Regards from Freetown, Sierra Leone
Calle